Short outage on GitLab fixed

Sunday, 4. December 2016: our GitLab is up and running again. The GitLab was offline for a few hours. Thanks to Roli Gisler for his quick alert. Thanks to the elcore team specialy to Sandro and Dario which did a great Sunday afternoon job. We’re investigating actually the root cause. I’ll publish the culprit here.
Update 5. December 2016: After a brief investigation we found several issues leading to a SCSI-vhci lock-up. This seems to be an issue with the excessive load and the SATA card. We’re planning to move the repo data from SATA storage to our Hitachi block storage and attaching the LUN’s over Fibre Channel to the NAS head. This should prevent us from further disruption.

Our move to Rotkreuz

as you may know, the “Abteilung Informatik” has been transformed (or should I say “upgraded”) to an independent business unit called “Information Technology”. This means we are newly on the same level to the other University departments such as Business, Engineering & Architecture, Social Work, Arts & Design and Music. We also getting a new building, built for our purpose! This has several implications. Our Enterprise Lab will be moved to the new building, not into the intermediate provisional building. Guess what? The Enterprise Lab acts as a IaaS. So we’ve upgraded to cloud services – did we? Yes we did – 10 years had passed since.

Lab outage


The causative problems for the Super Gau on 20 February, we have not yet figured out. But we are trying to work up the findings. If you want to read a history of events look here. Sandro has made a huge contribution to the rebuild of the Enterprise Lab. I’d like to express my gratitude. Not to mention all others who offered an helping hand such as: Dario Lötscher, Philip Gasser, and Alex Suhl.

Gitlab Upgrade

Today we upgraded our Gitlab Instance from 7.14.1 to 8.4.2 .  I hope you enjoy the new design and alot of pretty good small new features. As an example have a look at the upgrade file menu – modern and easy to use. I took the chance and changed our SSL Certificate from StarCom to Letsencrypt. Hopfully there will be no more untrusted server notifications anymore :)